Important tips for when your property sustains storm damage
As the fall and winter seasons approach, those of us in the Tigard/Tualatin area welcome this time of year with open arms. As the sun starts to set earlier its head and the leaves begin to fall, many northwest residents start to prepare their home or business for the change in weather. Preparing for your property for the season’s weather conditions is a crucial step to mitigating future damage from extreme weather. But should a storm hit your home or business, it’s equally important to be aware of how to respond.
SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin has put together a few tips that you and your family can use in the event of storm damage to your home or business.
- Photograph The Damage. You can never take too many photos. Your insurance company will thank you and you will have a much easier time with your claim if you have good photos.
- Contact Your Insurance Provider. As soon as you have gathered preliminary information, you should contact your insurance agent. While your local agent is less likely to handle the claim themselves, your agent can be a valuable advocate for your interests while you navigate the claims process.
- Safety First. Be mindful of fallen power lines and take care not to come in contact with electrically charged water.
- Inspect Plumbing. Turn of your water main if necessary. Contact a trusted plumbing contractor if you discover plumbing damage.
- Disconnect electrical appliances that have come in contact with water. Turn off main power at the power source. Contact an electrician if you discover damaged electrical wires.
- Inspect your roof. Heavy rains and wind may have dislodged some of your roofing. If you discover any damage, contact a roofing contractor.
- Contact SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin. If the storm has resulted in flooding, call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin immediately to start the water remediation process. Secondary water damage can occur in as little as 24 hours.
- DO NOT attempt to remove fallen trees yourself. Contact a reputable arborist if the tree is on your property or the appropriate municipality if it has fallen across public lands or roads.
- Always work with trustworthy local service providers. Unfortunately, there are some companies that attempt to take advantage of storm events. Always obtain a written contract that outlines the service expectations and a breakdown of costs.
SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a storm event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. If storm damage strikes your home, trust the damage restoration industry leader. 503-684-5829