Understanding Fire: What to remember when building an escape plan for your Tigard/Tualatin home or business
STOP! If you have fire or smoke damage in your property right now, call us at 503-SERVPRO RIGHT NOW. Don’t wait to mitigate - the longer damage sits unattended, the more likely it will develop secondary damage. Call us at 503-SERVPRO now.
Here at SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton, we understand the devastation fires can have on homes and businesses. We also understand the devastation and the struggle of trying to build your life back up after your home or business sustains fire damage.
Preparedness advocacy is a large part of what we do here at SERVPRO, and in light of the recent coverage of the fires in Australia, we wanted to share crucial information to remember if your home or business ever experiences a fire.
In the event of a fire occurring in your home or business, remember that every second counts. It’s important to always be prepared - the first thing you should have ready for a fire event is an escape plan.
Ready.Gov, the official website of the Department of Homeland Security, advises that families and businesses have a fire escape plan and practice it on average twice each year. When creating an escape plan for your home or business, remember the following:
- Fine two ways to get out of each room in the event the primary way is blocked by fire or smoke.
- A secondary route might be a window onto a neighboring roof or a collapsible ladder for escape from upper story windows.
- Make sure that windows are not stuck, screens can be taken out quickly, and that security bars can be properly opened.
- Practice feeling your way out of the house in the dark or with your eyes closed.
- Teach children not to hide from firefighters.
SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin will be sharing more helpful information regarding the dangers of fires to residential homes and businesses in the coming weeks. To ready our previous blogs on fire, click here.
Stay tuned for further information on how to prepare, respond, and rebuild after a fire. If you have smoke or fire damage in your home or business, call SERVPRO NOW at 503-684-5829.