Responding to flood water intrusions in your home
Whether or not your property is in a flood zone, it’s important to understand how you can protect your property in the case of a flood damage event. Here are some action steps you can take to protect your property before a restoration professional like SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton responds.
Please only perform these actions if the structure has been cleared as safe to enter.
- Take the greatest caution while entering your home, and wear sturdy shoes and protective clothing when dealing with flooded areas. Wear protective clothing at all times.
- Take photos or video to record conditions of collections and structure. Make sure images clearly record damage.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping or blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove any paintings, art objects, documents and other sensitive materials to a safe, dry place.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Do not attempt to operate any electrical equipment while standing in wet or damp locations.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to prevent staining.
- Do not leave Oriental rugs or oter colored rugs on wet wall to wall carpets to prevent staining.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
- Do not move objects or collections without documenting their condition.
- Throw away all foods - even canned goods - that have come into contact with flood waters.
- If your home has a crawlspace, be aware excess moisture in this area can often foster mold growth.
If you are unsure about your property’s flood risk and want to look up it up by address, visit FEMA.gov to see their breakdown of your area. If you do sustain flood damage in your property, make sure to call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton at 503-684-5829 as soon as possible.