Evacuating a flood event
As the seasons change, Oregon and Southwest Washington will be entering storm season. With storm season there comes a risk of flash floods and landslides. No matter where you are, SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton wants you to be prepared.
If you hear about a flood in your area, please remember these tips:
- If water enters the building you are in and evacuation becomes impossible, move to an upper floor and wait for rescuers.
- While evacuating, avoid attempting to drive through floods or rising water, nearly half of all flash flood fatalities are auto-related.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
- Avoid floodwaters. They may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community’s water supply is safe to drink.
- Return only when authorities indicate it is safe.
To read more about how you prepare for storm events, visit ready.gov. If you experience storm damage to your home, make sure to call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton at 503-684-5829 as soon as possible - even without power, we are able to respond 24/7 during storm events.