Evacuating a flood event
As the seasons change, Oregon and Southwest Washington will be entering storm season. With storm season there comes a risk of flash floods and landslides. No matter where you are, SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton wants you to be prepared.
If you hear about a flood in your area, please remember these tips:
- If water enters the building you are in and evacuation becomes impossible, move to an upper floor and wait for rescuers.
- While evacuating, avoid attempting to drive through floods or rising water, nearly half of all flash flood fatalities are auto-related.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
- Avoid floodwaters. They may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community’s water supply is safe to drink.
- Return only when authorities indicate it is safe.
To read more about how you prepare for storm events, visit ready.gov. If you experience storm damage to your home, make sure to call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton at 503-684-5829 as soon as possible - even without power, we are able to respond 24/7 during storm events.
SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin is dedicated to Commercial Restoration
Call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin at 503-684-5829.
A commercial loss has different project needs than your average residential water loss, and we understand these distinct differences at SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton. It’s why we developed our new department, the Commercial Large Loss Division (CLLD), where our CLLD team is dedicated to our commercial clients.
Comprising six core team members, our CLLD team focuses only on commercial work, which separates them from our residential water team. Having two teams, one for residential and the other for commercial, enables our crews to better optimize their work.
When it comes to commercial property loss, time is of the essence. If the property loss causes an interruption to business, that interruption could cost our commercial clients a considerable amount of revenue. This is why Fast Response is our CLLD team’s first priority.
Our Commercial Large Loss Division’s second priority is to maintain effective communication. A commercial property loss has a lot of moving parts and various individuals that need to be briefed throughout the process. Our team has years of experience handling commercial property restoration work and we understand the value of keeping every party informed, from start to finish.
If your commercial property experiences a significant property loss, whether from water, mold, or fire - you can trust that SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton and our Commercial Large Loss Division is ready to respond quickly and efficiently so that you can get back to full operation as soon as possible. Call us at 503-684-5829 if you discover damage in your property!
How is a commercial property loss different than a residential loss?
Here at SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton, we are experts at commercial restoration work. With our dedicated Commercial Large Loss Division (CLLD), we handle large commercial property restoration every day.
Typically, the restoration industry considers any property loss claim over $50,000 to be a Large Loss. However, a Large Loss can also be determined by the number of floors or rooms affected, or the amount of materials damaged. Restoration professionals will work with an insurance claim adjuster to determine the category of the loss early in the process to ensure maximum job efficiency.
It’s important to note that a residential property can experience a Large Loss, depending on the property damage event and the size of the home. Likewise, property damage at a commercial location isn’t always considered a Large Loss, and can be an isolated event like a pinhole leak in a water pipe.
Once a commercial property loss is determined to need Large Loss Response, the restoration professional will adjust how they proceed with the project. This may include the following considerations:
- A restorer may need to coordinate specialty equipment, such as additional trailer-mounted generators to power the increased amount of drying and dehumidifying equipment throughout the structure.
- A restorer will need to coordinate larger labor crews for demolition and debris removal before they can begin placing drying equipment.
- On a large commercial loss, daily safety meetings are required before the work can begin.
Time is still of the essence on a commercial Large Loss, only the restorer must factor in the significant increase in work. Project managers are able to meet the needs of commercial clients by carefully planning each step of the restoration process, increasing labor crew sizes, and optimizing our equipment to dry the structure and materials in the fast way possible.
While an average residential water loss mitigation project can last anywhere from 3-5 days, typically a large commercial water loss can span, on average, 7-14 days without complications.
If your commercial property experiences a significant property loss, whether from water, mold, or fire - you can trust that our Commercial Large Loss Division at SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton is ready to respond quickly and efficiently so that you can get back to full operation as soon as possible. Call us at 503-684-5829 if you discover damage in your property!
Responding to flood water intrusions in your home
Whether or not your property is in a flood zone, it’s important to understand how you can protect your property in the case of a flood damage event. Here are some action steps you can take to protect your property before a restoration professional like SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton responds.
Please only perform these actions if the structure has been cleared as safe to enter.
- Take the greatest caution while entering your home, and wear sturdy shoes and protective clothing when dealing with flooded areas. Wear protective clothing at all times.
- Take photos or video to record conditions of collections and structure. Make sure images clearly record damage.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping or blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove any paintings, art objects, documents and other sensitive materials to a safe, dry place.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Do not attempt to operate any electrical equipment while standing in wet or damp locations.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to prevent staining.
- Do not leave Oriental rugs or oter colored rugs on wet wall to wall carpets to prevent staining.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
- Do not move objects or collections without documenting their condition.
- Throw away all foods - even canned goods - that have come into contact with flood waters.
- If your home has a crawlspace, be aware excess moisture in this area can often foster mold growth.
If you are unsure about your property’s flood risk and want to look up it up by address, visit FEMA.gov to see their breakdown of your area. If you do sustain flood damage in your property, make sure to call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton at 503-684-5829 as soon as possible.
Be prepared for outages during storm season
As the seasons change, Oregon and Southwest Washington will be entering storm season. Whether it be wind, rain, freezing precipitation, or thunderstorms, keeping your home prepared for weather emergencies is crucial. Here at SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton, we’re passionate about signal-boosting preparedness information to our communities.
No matter the storm event, there is always a risk of power outages in your power network. Power outages may disrupt communications, water, and transportation. They may also create obstacles to business as usual, such as preventing you from being able to use gas stations, ATMs, banks, and other services as normal. At the most critical, power outages can cause food spoilage, water contamination, and disrupt medical devices, posing health risks to communities.
Review these steps to see how you can protect yourself and your household in the event of a power outage:
- Keep freezers and refrigerators closed until power is back on.
- Only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
- Do not use a gas stove to heat your home.
- Disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
- Have alternate plans for refrigerating medicines or using power dependent medical devices.
- If safe, go to an alternative location for heat and cooling.
- Check on neighbors.
To read more about how you prepare for power outages and storm events, visit ready.gov. If you experience storm damage to your home, make sure to call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton at 503-684-5829 as soon as possible - even without power, we are able to respond 24/7 during storm events.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – a defensive cleaning program
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing safety and assuredness.
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton today at 503-684-5829 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
We are Cleaning Experts - SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin
Call SERVPRO of Tigard at 503-SERVPRO, or email us to learn how we can help.
SERVPRO is Here to Help during this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today – SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin 503-684-5829.
The importance of documentation on a Tigard/Tualatin water damage worksite
Trust the company that goes above and beyond - call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin at 503-SERVPRO.
STOP! If you have water damage in your property right now, call us at 503-SERVPRO RIGHT NOW. Don’t wait to mitigate - the longer damage sits unattended, the more likely it will develop secondary damage. Call us at 503-SERVPRO now.
The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification (IICRC) is a standards developing organization for the inspection, cleaning, and restoration industries. For water damage restoration work, they have published a manual, S500 Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Water Damage Restoration (S500) - SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton follows the principles outlined in this manual, alongside our fellow Portland area restoration vendors.
To learn more about the IICRC, read our previous blogs from the S500 series The certification firm every restoration professional uses and The importance of safety and health on a restoration worksite.
Here at SERVPRO, we believe it’s important for our community to understand the principles that outline the work we do. Over the coming months, we will be summarizing each principle from the S500 and sharing that knowledge with you.
S500 Principle 2: Document and inspect the project.
Project inspections are ongoing on a water restoration worksite. Inspections are first utilized to assess the safety of the affected area of the property, and then they continue to be conducted during the following steps in the restoration process. Restorers will inspect and measure moisture conditions on a regular basis inside the building and for materials affected.
Additionally, everything is documented during a water restoration project. Restorers will not only document the conditions of the building, but also the work procedures that are followed to address those conditions.
Both regular inspections and thorough documentation are vital to the success of water restoration. They keep the job organized, efficient, and they’re valuable in supporting a restoration professionals conclusions with an insurance company.
Because many actions on a water restoration worksite need adjuster approval before being executed, proper documentation is a valuable process for all restoration professionals.
Ensuring that every detail is accounted for and the restoration process is monitored thoroughly during the project is critical for the work that we do. SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin is passionate about having an organized approach when we take on a water restoration project so that we can ensure that the process is smooth for every party involved.
Choose a company that you can trust - call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton at 503-684-5829 if you experience water damage in your home or business.
Understanding Fire: Important steps to take after fire damage occurs
Call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin NOW at 503-SERVPRO if you have fire damage in your home or business!
STOP! If you have fire or smoke damage in your property right now, call us at 503-SERVPRO RIGHT NOW. Don’t wait to mitigate - the longer damage sits unattended, the more likely it will develop secondary damage. Call us at 503-SERVPRO now.
SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton understands the devastation a fire has on a residential home or commercial business. We understand the journey of trying to return back to normal after a home or business has fire damage.
Here at SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton, we’re passionate about spreading emergency preparedness awareness. We’ve written five blogs on this topic, What to know if fire occurs in your home or business, What to remember when building a fire escape plan, How smoke detection tools can save lives, How to stay safe while evacuating, and How residents can plan around mobility and functional concerns.
For our next installment in our Understanding Fire series, we’re highlighting the importance of what to do after a fire occurs in your home or business.
After a fire occurs in a building, there are a few things you may need or want to consider.
- If you need temporary housing, food and medicines, consider contacting local disaster relief services, such as The Red Cross.
- If you are insured, contact your insurance company or your insurance agent for detailed instructions on protecting the property and conducting inventory. They will advise you to contact a fire damage restoration company of your choice to provide emergency restoration services, or EMG services. To read more about our SERVPRO’s EMG services, visit our blog on our Priority Response team here.
- Check with the fire department to make sure your residence is safe to enter. Be watchful of any structural damage caused by the fire.
- The fire department should see that utilities are either safe to use or are disconnected before they leave the site. DO NOT attempt to reconnect utilities yourself.
- Conduct an inventory of damaged property and items. Do not throw away any damaged goods until after an inventory is made. A reputable restoration company will assist you in this matter.
- Try to locate valuable documents and records.
- Begin saving receipts for any money you spend related to the fire loss. The receipts may be needed later by the insurance company and for verifying losses claimed on income tax.
- Notify your mortgage company of the fire.
Whether or not you choose SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton, a reputable restoration company will assist you through this process. At our company, our Priority Response Team are experts on navigating the fire recovery and restoration process, and they are always available to assist or advise.
If you sustain fire or smoke damage in your home or business, call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton at 503-684-5829.
People come first at SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin
Trust the company that goes above and beyond - call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin at 503-SERVPRO.
STOP! If you have water, fire, or mold damage in your property right now, call us at 503-SERVPRO RIGHT NOW. Don’t wait to mitigate - the longer damage sits unattended, the more likely it will develop secondary damage. Call us at 503-SERVPRO now.
When you choose SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton to handle your restoration needs, you’re choosing a company that puts people first.
We take pride in our ability to advise property owners on their property damage situation. We always offer the best course of action, even if that action is to refer to another company or to go a different direction. With our expertise comes an ethical obligation to inform without bias, and we try to give objective advice for our customers and potential customers at all times.
At the end of the day, however, we will proceed how the property owner wishes to. If a homeowner would prefer an alternate cleaning agent, we will accommodate them; if they would like us to alter our cleaning process to account for their special building material needs or concerns, we will do so; and if a customer would like us to restore a personal possession as much as possible and return it to them, despite us deeming it ‘unsalvageable’, then we will do as a customer wishes.
We will work together with a customer so that they have the necessary information to make the right decision when it comes to their property. People will always come first at SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton, and we carry that thought through everything we do.
Here is what Jen M. had to say about our company on Yelp!
“I called our local SERVPRO branch, and they were courteous, professional and helpful from the very first phone call. They not only answered all of my questions, but they were able to get a crew out to my house in less than two hours to start drying it out.
They assisted me with getting the asbestos testing performed (which is required in all homes built prior to 2004), performed all of the necessary demo, setup heaters and dehumidifiers as needed, and did all the cleanup when they were done.
They also touched bases with me regularly to let me know what was going on, and someone came out to my house every day during the dry out process to check on the progress. I felt well taken care of, and didn’t feel like anything was left to chance.”
Thank you, Jen, for your very kind words!
If you experience significant property damage and need help navigating the claims and restoration process, trust that SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton has your best interests at heart. Call us as soon as you sustain property damage at 503-684-5829.