Why contractors can benefit you
SERVPRO Team At Work
The developing community in the Tigard/Tualatin area is not showing signs of slowing down. People in our community are noticing growth in both our neighborhoods and in our areas of commerce. Whether you are a homeowner who is remodeling or rebuilding, or you are a business expanding and establishing a physical location – our surroundings are changing and developing.
As a contractor or a property owner, it’s important to note that construction and remodeling projects create a lot of debris. Messy or dirty work areas can not only be unsightly, but could be dangerous is left unclean or untidy. While contractors can certainly clean up themselves, sometimes it’s best to call out a cleaning professional to ensure the area is ready for the next step of the process. This is where SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin can help.
Not only does SERVPRO bring time honored cleaning processes, we also are experts on packing, loading and hauling away materials – an important part of the cleaning process. After this, the site will need to be cleaned of all dust and all surfaces must be wiped clean.
If you are a contractor or a property owner that currently needs help cleaning up a construction site, let SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin can assist. Call us today at (503) 684-5829 to discuss your construction cleaning needs.
Restaurants take on more water
Due to the nature of their business, restaurants will often have higher water consumption during operation. This increases the likelihood of water damage occurring in a restaurant. SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin is passionate about preparing our community’s restaurant owners for the sometimes inevitable reality of water damage in their place of business.
Many factors can contribute to water damage in a commercial kitchen. Examples of this can be clogged drains, burst or damaged water lines, and flooding from plumbing issues or from extreme weather. Restaurants have many moving parts and are open to the public, which can at times cause issues in the publically used areas such as the restrooms.
Additionally, issues can arise from both new and old appliances. Being aware of this risk and preparing accordingly as a restaurant business owner is crucial to surviving property damage to your business.
To learn more about preparing your business for disaster, please visit our blog on our Emergency Ready Profile service.
For help with mold prevention in Tigard, Tualatin, Lake Oswego, West Linn, Beaverton, Sherwood, and Wilsonville, call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin at (503) 684-5928 today.
Storm damage and your contents
SERVPRO on the job
When rains fall, winds roar and storms serge after making sure everyone is safe and looked after, we worry about our property. We worry about roof shingles blowing off or that old tree that seems to be swaying more than feels safe that is near your garage. It seems like in a storm when we think about property damage, we think about the structure, the roof torn off or a tree on the roof. But we leave out the secondary damages this causes to our contents, our furniture and everything that makes a house a home. Before tossing all your contents our or placing them out on the curb for pick up, make sure you check with SERVPRO® of Tigard/Tualatin to see if the contents can be cleaned and restored. We have been helping customers like you when disaster strikes for 27+ years. We are ready 24/7, 365 to serve you.
Winter is on the way
SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin, Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton prides itself on being a leader in the commercial and residential restoration industry. As storm damage experts, we help home and business owners recover from small incidental damage all the way up to total loss after a major storm.
With the autumn and winter seasons approaching the Tigard/Tualatin area, it’s important to remember the potential damage that extreme weather can have on properties. Storm Damage starts with severe weather, which can be considered as hail, heavy winds, snow, freezing ice and sleet, or heavy rain, among other weather conditions that can lead to Storm Damage.
The potential a storm has to damage your property is directly related to how protected your property is. Preventative maintenance on your home or property is a property owner’s first defense against Storm Damage. During fall and winter months, small issues such as an undetected leak in a pipe, can lead to large damages in a home or business.
SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin is your local storm damage company and we can help identify some of these smaller issues before they become bigger ones. Whether it is a fallen tree, a leak in your pipe, or extreme weather damage, we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide you with superior emergency service after a major storm event. SERVPRO will be there to help secure your property and belongings to minimize continued damage.
Call us today to learn more about our services and how we can help your home or business in the event of a storm emergency.
Dealing with freezing pipes
STOP! If you have water damage in your property right now, call us at 503-SERVPRO RIGHT NOW. Don’t wait to mitigate - the longer damage sits unattended, the more likely it will develop secondary damage. Call us at 503-SERVPRO now.
A frozen pipe bursting is a terrible ordeal to come home to, but did you know your pipe could still be frozen without bursting? The following five tips can help you identify and thaw frozen pipes if you ever find them in your home or business.
- If you turn on a faucet and only a trickle comes out, suspect a frozen pipe. Likely places for frozen pipes include against exterior walls or where your water service enters your home through the foundation.
- Keep the faucet open. As you treat the frozen pipe and the frozen area begins to melt, water will begin to flow through the frozen area. Running water through the pipe will help melt ice in the pipe.
- Apply heat to the section of the pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, a portable space heater (kept away from flammable materials), or by wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water. Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, charcoal stove, or other open flame device.
- Apply heat until full water pressure is restored. If you are unable to locate the frozen area, if the frozen area is not accessible, or if you can not thaw the pipe, call a licensed plumber.
- Check all other faucets in your home to find out if you have additional frozen pipes. If one pipe freezes, others may freeze, too.
Be prepared for water damage before it happens! Call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton at 503-684-5829 for any questions, and don’t hesitate to mitigate the damage the minute you see it!
Ready For You
Late Night Fire
SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in the Multnomah County area.
We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – (503) 684-5829 SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin/Lake Oswego/West Linn and Beaverton
Whether your Multnomah County home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your commercial property in the Multnomah County Area. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business.
Advanced technology and techniques
We, at SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin invest in the latest technology and equipment because it helps us restore your home more quickly and efficiently while minimizing cost. We invest in technology such as a thermal camera that allows us to detect moisture inside walls, technology like rescue mats that help to extract water from your hardwood floors and allow them to be dried in place. SERVPRO puts time and money into researching and developing the absolute best products to help to clean and restore your home or workplace to preloss condition.
Having advanced technology regarding restoration products can reduce the amount of demolition and damage to your home. Rather than having to cut a hole in a wall to read the moisture we can detect it with a state-of-the-art thermal camera. This saves time, money and prevents unneeded demolition or archaic restoration methods.
Kitchen Fire Safety
A favorite activity of many residents in Tigard and Tualatin, cooking lets us show off our skill and our personalities. It also brings friends and family together, teaches our children a vital but fundamental skill, and promotes our health.
Tigard and Tualatin part-time chefs can protect their kitchens from fire damage by exercising caution when frying foods. Oils can quickly ignite, creating instantaneous flames that can spread quickly. If this happens, turn off the stove's burners as quickly as possible. Using water in attempts to extinguish such fires rarely ends well. Instead, cover the pot to suffocate the flames, or toss several boxes of baking soda on a blazing skillet, which can extinguish the fire, if you act quickly enough.
However, it takes a tremendous amount of baking soda to accomplish this feat. The mistaken use of baking powder, or worse, flour, can create even more problems, as these ignite when exposed to too much heat. Smoking heavily, oil gives off a warning sign when becoming too hot, so reducing the temperature can effectively prevent a grease fire.
Even if a kitchen fire blazes for only a short time and efforts to extinguish it succeed, the smoke can ruin your kitchen. However, the technicians at SERVPRO combine extensive experience with intensive training, so your home always receives the protection it deserves. We can clean your kitchen and adjacent areas in your home, so it sparkles once again. Making homes feel clean and bright again, so homeowners feel “Like it never even happened,” makes our work fulfilling and highly worthwhile.
At times, structural damage to the home occurs because of a fire that raged out of control and spread, but we are always ready for such disasters. Cleaning these situations up to restoring your home through repairs or replacements makes it safe once again to enjoy cooking and providing others with delicious food from your kitchen. Removing the sooty deposits means no malodorous remnants remain to ruin the taste of your food, either.
SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin can be contacted at our local number, (503) 684-5829, any day of the year, and at any hour. We care about those in our community and helping ensure that each family can engage in their daily activities without interruption remains one of our goals.
How to Handle Black Water
Black water is defined as any floodwater containing contaminants or viruses the can potentially cause illness or infection. Sewage would qualify as Black water. Any event of sewage back up needs to be addressed immediately. Arming yourself with the knowledge of what causes a sewage back up may help you prevent this occurrence at you home.
Causes of Sewage Back Up
- Clogging – When your home’s main sewer line or drain pipe’s become clogged, there is potential for a sewage back up. An example of this would be if one toilet creates a sewage back up, the drain connected to that particular toilet has become clogged. If all of the toilets in your home begin to back flow, this is a signal that your main sewage line has become clogged. Clogs are caused by solid materials, such as hair or grease.
- Plant Roots – A tree’s root system has the potential to intertwine with sewage lines. Roots can grow into pipes and make holes in it and can also grow around the pipes and potentially crush them. Roots from nearby trees can also travel to your sewage line and cause damage.
- Aging Sewer Lines – Pipes used to be made of easily deteriorating materials such as cast iron and clay. Older systems made with these materials have the potential to break down and split, causing backups and flooding. Fortunately, durable plastic materials have become the plumbing standard.
- Heavy Rains – Sudden heavy rainfall can overwhelm Portland’s sewage system. If a public sewage system can’t withstand a sudden influx of rainwater, the excess water may travel into adjacent sewer lines. This can put your home at risk for backflow.
Preventing Backup at Your Home
- NEVER pour cooking grease down your drain. Oil can harden inside of your pipes as it cools and clog your pipes. The proper way to dispose of cooking grease is to pour it into a heat resistant container and place the container in the trash when it cools off.
- Do not flush paper products. Paper towels, diapers and feminine hygiene products have no business being flushed down the toilet and can very easily clog your drainage system. Dispose of these items properly of risk potential backups later.
- Update the pipes in your drainage system or remove tree roots. A good preventative measure to avoid costly repairs later is to replace your lead or clay sewer lateral pipe (the line in your yard) with an updated plastic pipe. It is also good to cut the tree roots back as they grow near your drainage system.
- Consider installing a backwater prevention valve. This fixture can prevent sewage from backing up into your home. Typically, backwater prevention valves are installed into a sewer line and sometimes into the basement drain line.
If you experience a sewage backup in your home, call SERVPRO of Tigard/Tualatin immediately to begin the remediation process. Handling black water yourself puts you at risk for disease and infection.
Our highly trained technicians are ready to respond immediately to flood or water damage at your Portland property. We have the experience, expertise, and training to restore your home or business quickly and properly. We use advanced inspection and extraction equipment to remove the black water quickly. Our technicians will monitor and document the drying process to ensure your property is back to normal.
Cleaning Up After a Fire
When smoke damage strikes your home or office after the chaos and immediate worry is over you may be asking each other, how to clean up the mess? Maybe even talk and make plans to clean up the mess yourselves. After all, it will keep costs down and you can get it done in your time frame.
It is completely within your rights to decide who helps with your loss or to do the work yourselves. But we at SERVPRO® of Tigard/Tualatin are trained in the latest techniques and with the best cleaning agents to cut through soot and smoke in your property.
We work alongside you and your insurance company to quickly get you back in your home or office restoring your property to preloss condition and making it “Like it never even happened.”
If fire damage should occur in your home or office, from an electrical fire or a grease fire on the stove, we are here 24/7, 365 to help you. Call us at 503-684-5829.